Saturday, May 21

My grand adventure

So these past few weeks have been particularly rough as I figure out where I am headed next in life pertaining to my visa, job, money, living, country, language....everything, you get the picture. BUT, there have been quite a few blessings in my life lately as well that I would much rather care to share than the hum-drum negative stuff.

In my last post I mentioned that my friend had just invited me to go on an adventure and I had no idea what she had in mind. Well, on facebook, I messaged her and asked her what type of shoes I should wear. I had no idea it would come off making me sound like a princess, but it did, I only wanted to know because it makes a difference right? Plus, I was fishing for a clue. Well, she told me to wear Wellies and I wore my cow girl boots, just to be random. I showed up at her house around 9pm and she was already waiting for me in her car. I jumped on and she told me we had 2 options: I chose both!

Option number one was to drive through the French country side which ended up not working so well as it took us forever to get anywhere and by that time it was dark, but we did find a McDonalds in some random suburb and stop and have a McFlurry. Worth every random highway and toll we encountered. Not so interesting to you but if you were on a fly on the wall it might have been a little more entertaining.

The second option was to drive through Paris and around the Arc de Triumph. So, for those of you who don't know much about Paris, the Arc de Triumph is is an arc (obviously) in the middle of a major intersection where about 8 streets all come together in one round-about. There are no light signals and no lane markings, its just a free for all, if you will. Christina and I had talked about doing this a few times as it seemed rather exhilarating to us Americans and while driving a standard, sign me up!!! So we braved the Parisian traffic (which is awful) and pressed on. It was the most fun I've had in a long time, and I have a lot of fun on a daily basis. Anyways, I took some videos of our adventure and posted them on youtube so if you are interested, go ahead and take a look.

Driving through Paris at night is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen! It's incredible, the sights, the air, everything... and you would not believe how many people were still out and about on a week night at midnight. Holy moly.

Anyways, it was quite an adventure of memories I won't soon forget and I am so blessed by friends who are willing to do stupid and silly things like drive around the Arc de Triumph 6 times!
Oh, and do any of you know what a "chinese fire drill" is??? Please say yes!!! If you don't know, apparently its a very American thing where when you are stopped at a red light or a stop sign, everyone gets out of the car and runs in a circle and then jumps back in and you drive off (or wait for the light to turn green). It's completely harmless but oh so much fun!! We used to do this all the time as teenagers! Anyways, we were stuck in traffic on the champs elysees and decided, why not? So we did!!! I have to say, the most juvenile things can be the most thrilling and entertaining. Maybe thats why I get along with children so well? Anyways, this was not videotaped unfortunately, but I do have to say, while most of the people in traffic with us probably thought we were crazy, we did notice a few people laughing so at least we did our part for the night by creating some type of entertainment to those who had no choice but to sit and watch. You know, I help when i can!

Video 1  (Apologize in advance for the bad audio, i video'd on my blackberry cell phone so its not the best quality)

Video 2

Video 3 and the most important/entertaining (in my opinion)


Anyways, on a different note: I had to say goodbye to TWO friends this week! It's been a bit depressing! One friend who was an au-pair with me in my town left on Wednesday to move back to Austria and this morning my Italy travel buddy, Alison, moved back to Texas to finish her studies. I am sad to see them leave but happy to have the memories I have of them!!! Ugh, I hate living in a city where there is so much change! Good-bye's are never fun! :-(

Ok, well, I am off to go to bed early (or at least try). As beautiful as it is this time of year and especially out here in cow town, its especially hard these days to sleep well because there are SO many darn birds! You would not believe. The birds seriously put me shame in how much they talk! And thats saying a lot. I have been waking up at the illegal times of 5 and 6am recently because of the birds. And thanks to the sun not setting until nearly 10:30pm these days and rising at 5:30am, its great when you want to be up for a long time and have some good light, but when you're wanting to sleep in and the sun is shining bright in your window.... Its strange to live here and have such short days in winter and such long days in summer. So different from Texas!

Well, I am off to attempt to go to bed early!
Miss you love you, me!

No comments: